As another part of our book celebration I had students reflect on a book that made them the reader they are today. I showed them this video:
Scholastic Reader I am Today
I then had students think about a book that made them the reader they are today and we decorated our "banquet table" with their books.
After this I announced the books that were voted as the TOP books for our 4th graders during the 2012-2013 school year. Several students in my homeroom class designed book award stickers for the winners and we all voted on our favorite. The winning student enjoyed designing the stickers for the winners and they will be marked with these stickers in my classroom library next school year.
The winners were...
Picture Book: A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
Poetry Book: Love that Dog by Sharon Creech
Nonfiction Book: Salt in His Shoes by Deloris Jordan
Chapter Book: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Graphic Novel: Sidekicks by Dan Santat
A few reflections...
A few of the winners were books I read out loud through out the year. These books won by a LANDSLIDE! Throughout this school year I made it a point to read aloud daily to each class. I knew it was important and I wanted to make it a priority. The more I read aloud, the more I continued to learn how truly important this is. It creates a community of readers, gives us shared texts to use in all sorts of lessons (and social situations), builds excitement for reading, improves vocabulary, and SO much more. The landslide votes proved once again that this time reading aloud was well spent.
To further confirm my love of reading aloud, I also received this note as the year closed up...
You can't argue with that.








No comments:
Post a Comment